A supplement is any substance that can complete or just enhance some other thing to which it is added to. In our case, brain supplements are products which when taken aim to improve the cognitive abilities. In most cases, brain supplements are manufactured from naturally occurring products such as vitamins and herbal products. It is no easy to come up with a list of the best brain supplements without some kind of biasness. The best approach is to discuss several commonly used ingredients whose brain boosting capabilities are well known.
Ingredients to look for in a brain supplement
- Fish oil – Also commonly referred to as omega oils, fish oils are known to offer various mental health benefits as well as treating some types of brain inflammations. It is even believed that omega oils can help in preventing or lowering the spread of cancer.
- Ginkgo balboa – It is unlikely that you will miss this ingredient in any brain supplement. Although there are no official records depicting its effectiveness, this herbal product is associated with a memory enhancement and brain health.
- Acetyl –L-Carnitine – It is an amino acid known for its abilities to maintain a continuous flow of essential energy to brain cells. This helps boost focus and memory formation.
- Vitamin B(s) – There are several vitamins Bs, all which play a major role energy production and distribution in the body. Deficiency in the vitamin can lead to poor memory, brain fog and nerve damage.
- Citicoline – Though this compound occurs naturally in the body, deficiencies can still occur. It helps maintain the levels of dopamine and acetylcholine. These neurotransmitters are essential enhancers of normal chemical process in the brain.
- Ginseng – Herbal extract from this plant are said to enhance focus, alertness and maintain energy flow in the brain.
- Bacopa – Yet another natural product known to protect neurons and maintain the correct brain chemistry.
There are other ingredients like Huperzine, green tea, forms of choline even Cocoa extracts. It is important to note that FDA does not encourage the use of untested, especially herbal products to treat medically related brain issues. As much as they can help boost a healthy brain, they can speed up a progressive brain conditions.
Are brain supplements worth?
If you are thinking about going for a brain supplement, it is only natural to consider their worth both in terms cost and trouble. Well, brain supplements, if well chosen, can help a great deal in brain development.